Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursdays With Tagore - A New Version


For the last few months, every Thursday, I've been posting Tagore's poems as translated in this book (which I've finished reading) or as found online. I've absolutely enjoyed sharing my love for Tagore with some absolutely wonderful people across the world here. From today onwards, Thursdays With Tagore will feature specific poems.

Last week, I went to a bookstore and bought myself the collection of poems that Tagore won the Nobel Prize for:  Gitanjali (Song Offerings). This book, which has some wonderful, historic photographs as well as the text of Tagore's amazing Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech is the one from which I shall be sharing the poems. 


Thou hast made me endless, such is thy pleasure. This frail vessel thou emptiest again and again, and fillest it ever with fresh life.

     This little flute of a reed thou hast carried over hills and dales, and hast breathed through it melodies eternally new.

     At the immortal touch of thy hands my little heart loses its limits in joy and gives birth to utterance ineffable.

     Thy infinite gifts come to me only on these very small hands of mine. Ages pass, and still thou pourest, and still there is room to fill.

This is so gorgeous and divine. There's no point in picking my favourite lines because they all fit in so well, flow with great beauty and a wonderful meaning for every reader.  

1 comment:

Vaishnavi said...

This is so beautiful..if I am not wrong this is the first piece in Gitanjali right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test