Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Women on Wednesday - Agatha Christie



This weekly event is hosted by Susan at Rocks n' Reads West of Mars


She says: " Every Wednesday, write about a book you loved that’s written by a woman. Celebrate a woman author whose books you love. Talk about a book you’re dying to read. "





To those who frequent my blog, it would be no surprise that Agatha Christie features in my Women on Wednesday meme. I'm a great fan of 'The Queen of Crime' and I've spent many an hour willingly getting myself embroiled in a mystery, trying to guess a killer, and of course, being wrong with my predictions.


I started reading Agatha Christie more than 4 years ago and I've read most of her books, starting from the extremely popular And Then There Were None to the fairly obscure novels like A Daughter's A Daughter written as Mary Westmacott. Her detectives are legendary by themselves: be it Hercule Poirot, Jane Marple, Tommy and Tuppence Beresford or Captain Hastings. The most popular detective is of course Hercule Poirot, the Belgian detective with his moustache and his 'little grey cells'. But my personal favourite is Miss Marple - an unbelievably brilliant old lady with a keen eye for detail, who solves mysteries that have baffled trained detectives.


Most of Christie's mysteries are deceptively simple. The plot is laid out immaculately, the suspects are identified and you're allowed to guess. It's like an interactive guessing game!  Her imagery of quaint English villages, especially in Miss Marple mysteries, is another reason I adore her books. Christie took a cue from Conan Doyle and his legendary detective Sherlock Holmes and gave us another unforgettable line of mysteries. Another speciality of Christie's books are that they are mysteries you can read again and again. Rereading is, in Christie's case, an opportunity to watch the master at work. 


There are several film adaptations of Agatha Christie's books, but in my opinion, none of it can capture the excitement of staying awake at night, unable to put down the book, turning over a page knowing it contains a whole new revelation! Enjoy that rare, wonderful reading experience. You can join the Marple Poirot Holmes challenge which is my little tribute to Agatha Christie.


 Featured on Women on Wednesday:
November 25, 2009 - Louisa May Alcott 
December 2, 2009 - Enid Blyton 
December 16, 2009 - Nayantara Sahgal 
December 23, 2009 - J. K. Rowling

8 comments:

Shweta said...

Agatha Christie is the queen of mystery. None of the recent mystery writers have come close to her style or method. Awesome lady :) Nice post..

Sheila Beaumont said...

I love Agatha Christie's books! I've been reading and rereading them since I was in my early 20s (a long time ago!). I was sure I'd read all of them, but was delighted to find a few years ago that there was one I had never read: Endless Night. It's one of her thrillers, not part of the Poirot or Marple series. I consider it one of her very best.

Alyce said...

I can't wait to experience her mysteries! I'm going to read my first Agatha Christie book at some point this year.

Kim said...

I started reading A. Christie couple years ago. I, too, love Miss Marple best. When you read Poirot mysteries, which actor do you see in your mind?

Kals said...

Shweta - Thanks! Yep..'Queen of Crime' is no exaggeration at all!

Sheila Beaumont - Exactly. There are several Christie mysteries which do not star any of her popular detectives and hence are sadly under-rated. One such is Why Didn't They Ask Evans? which is a fantastic story!

Alyce - Yay! I'm sure you'll be hooked on to this world of Agatha Christie mysteries :)

Kim - David Suchet is my ideal Poirot, but Albert Finney was equally brilliant. I haven't seen many others. Geraldine McEwan is the only Miss Marple I've seen and I quite like her :)What about you?

Kim said...

I prefer David Suchet over A Finney, but I like to think of Peter Ustinov when reading the Poirot books.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love Agatha Christie. I love them all except for the Tommy/Tuppence ones, which I didn't really like

Kals said...

Nishita - Yep, Tommy and Tuppence are my least favourite. I thought they were exceptionally boring! But the other detectives are great :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test