Wednesday, December 1, 2010

South Asian Challenge 2011

One of the many things I've learnt this year is the fact that I'm dismal at completing challenges. The list of challenges I've completed - don't look at my sidebar! - is embarrassingly low, due to a combination of work, lethargy, work, work and work. But one challenge that I completed very early in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed was the South Asian Author Challenge.

It was easy for me to complete (and indeed exceed) the maximum level of that challenge because I always read a lot of Indian authors. I've discovered many a wonderful author through the challenge and I hope you've found some good recommendations from my blog too. 


I'm delighted that Swapna Krishna at S.Krishna's Books is continuing with this challenge and I'm happy to sign-up for the South Asian Challenge 2011. Here are the slightly different rules for the new version, which concentrates not on the nationality of the author alone, but rather the geographical area that the book deals with. I'm being (probably overtly) ambitious in choosing the challenge level of 'South Asian Guru' where I read more than 10 books. I'm going by the fact that this year I've read almost 15 South Asian books and I hope the trend will continue next year too!

A tentative list of some of the books I'd like to read next year:
1. Serious Men - Manu Joseph - DONE
2. Nationalism - Rabindranath Tagore
3. India Remembered - Pamela Mountbatten and India Hicks
5. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
6. Chef - Jaspreet Singh
7. The Far Pavilions - M.M.Kaye
8. A Passage to India - E.M Forster  - DONE

Thank you once again Swapna for hosting this! I'm glad that this challenge gives people across the world an opportunity to discover new authors, cultures and traditions. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm joining this challenge too. I have serious Men, I think. I'll look forward to your review.

Tanu said...

I read Serious Men and enjoyed it very much. I think you will like the book. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book.

Kals said...

Hello Violet and welcome to my blog! I'm looking forward to reading Serious Men and I'm hoping my excitement doesn't get too high and lead me to read the book before the end of this year!

Tanu - Almost all the reviews I've read of this book have been positive. I'm glad you liked it and I can't wait to read the book! :)

Vaishnavi said...

Good luck with the challenge! I have taken up some books to read in the new year based on your recommendations :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

This and Sookie were the only challenges I completed this year :(

It's still an improvement over last year when I never completed anything.

Love your selection of books here, and looking forward to your reviews

Kals said...

Vaishnavi - Yay! I'm glad you have :) I hope you like those books too. And thanks :)

Priya - Thank you :)

Nishita - Good to have company. I've been horribly lousy with challenges
:(

Thank you :)

Booksnyc said...

I signed up for this last year and chose the 7 book level but I may not get to 7 by the end of the year. Poor planning on my part :(

I will be signing up again though! I have Serious Men on my TBR list too and am in the middle of Midnight's Children - it is excellent!

Kals said...

Aww..well I hope you enjoyed all the books you did read so far :)

I can't wait to read both Serious Men and Midnight's Children! So excited for this challenge again :)

Mystica said...

This is the first challenge I have ever joined and being in Sri Lanka at least the access to books would be easier! I read The Far Pavilions when I was a teenager (decades ago) and found it one of the most tender, moving love stories ever! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Amanda said...

I hate to admit but your confession made me feel so much better! I've begun avoiding your wonderful blog as I've just had SO much on my plate this past year that I haven't managed to complete a single challenge. in fact my fiction reading was virtually non-existant. However, 2011 has started with a new year and positiveness in abundance. Your blog will once again inspire me and encourage me to read books daily for pleasure and to record my reading. I'm now off to create my own challenge for 2011.
Here's to our success;-D!
Blessings,
Amanda x

Kals said...

Mystica - Hello and welcome to my blog :) I'm sure you'll enjoy this challenge then. I've just heard so much about The Far Pavilions! I can't wait to get to it.

Amanda - I can totally understand and work always comes before blogging so don't worry too much :) Have a wonderful 2011 and read some amazing books out there. It's lovely to have you back :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test