Monday, November 9, 2009

18th and 19th Century Women Writers Reading Challenge

This challenge is hosted by Becky at Becky's Book Reviews and is, hopefully, the last challenge I join in for the new year.

Some info about the challenge:
Read books written by women authors that were written and/or published between 1700 and 1900. Contemporary historical books set in this time period do not count towards this challenge! The challenge is to encourage you to read some classics.


I'm such a fan of Victorian literature and when I spotted this great 18th and 19th Century Women Writers Reading Challenge, I loved it. It was just what I absolutely adore and after thinking for long, I decided not to include Austen, Bronte and Alcott, all of whom I love and read a lot. I wanted to experience the writing of other great women writers and here are the two books written and published in the 18th or 19th century that I've picked:


Heidi by Johanna Spyri. This book was published in 1880.



Middlemarch by George Eliot ( Pen name of Mary Anne Evans ). This book was published as a one-volume edition in 1874.



9 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

this is a nice challenge. love the images of older covers. so tempting, i may join you. i will doing george eliott book-based movies so will be able to relate to your review of middlemarch.

Kals said...

Yay, I'd love your company =)I've heard the movies are pretty good too, so I'll watch out for your reviews.

And yes you're right..this sort of vintage book covers are definitely my favourites.

Anonymous said...

Your choices are really good.Heidi is my childhood fav. I love re reading it .

Kals said...

Thanks! =)Oh yes I remember noticing it in your list on Goodreads. I've watched the film and cartoon based on Heidi, but haven't read the book and I'm looking forward to it!

Unknown said...

Your blog's new look is really good.

Kals said...

Thank you! =) I decided I needed three columns and sort of revamped it a bit :)

Veens said...

Well I read Heidi recently. I am 1 down on this one LOL!

Kals said...

Oh yeah, I saw your Heidi review :D It sounds like a beautiful book =)

Adelle4Paris said...

I am a part of a book group called The Jane Austen Tea Society. We read through all of the major Jane Austen works - meeting once a quarter at a local tearoom and discussing each book over high tea. Now we have started on a selection of Victorian writers. We have read Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell, Our Mutual Friend by Dickens and are now in the midst of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. We are reading in the order of author births. It has been fascinating to see novel development!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test