Friday, April 17, 2009

'Paths of Glory' - Jeffrey Archer

As promised, here is my review of Archer's latest book:



Rating: 3/5

Review:
The first thought that crossed my mind as I finished the book was that though this was a good book, it wasn't really anywhere near Archer's best. The book is based on the real life story of George Mallory who made a great expedition to conquer Mt. Everest. I'm not really interested about mountaineering, so the book wasn't too interesting, especially when parts of the story got repetitive.

The narrative is fun, you have trademark Archer witticisms, some memorable scenes, but there's something missing. It's perhaps the thrill or the lack of it, that is the hole in the wall. There weren't any 'twists', 'Aha!' moments or segments that surprised me. I didn't feel the excitement, reading a book about one of the most thrilling and adventurous sports in the World. After a point, what kept me going was not the story or the narrative, but my urge to know what happened in the end.

Not Archer's best, definitely. But readable, especially if you're looking for a fun and good read.

To do:
Look up 'George Mallory' in Wikipedia =)

4 comments:

J said...

Hmmm, I just might read this book to find out about Geroge Mallory. :)

Kals said...

Actually, I'd recommend wiki :P Unless you're too bored and need a book =)

J said...

Hit the nail on the head, as usual. But I have one I'm reading currently and one more with me, so I guess I'd wait a while. :)

Kals said...

Happy reading =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test