Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thursdays With Tagore - April 22



Every Thursday, I shall read one of Tagore's poems as translated in this book or some other poem I can find. I shall post some lines from the poem and perhaps a detail of how I liked this poem or not. Any others who want to join in this meme are absolutely welcome to do so!

This song of mine will wind its music around you,
my child, like the fond arms of love

The song of mine will touch your forehead
like a kiss of blessing.

When you are alone it will sit by your side and
whisper in your ear, when you are in the crowd
it will fence you about with aloofness.

My song will be like a pair of wings to your dreams,
it will transport your heart to the verge of the unknown.

It will be like the faithful star overhead
when dark night is over your road.

My song will sit in the pupils of your eyes,
and will carry your sight into the heart of things.

And when my voice is silenced in death,
my song will speak in your living heart.

I know I say this for almost every single Tagore poem, but I totally mean it every time: what a beautiful, emotional, stirring poem! Reading this poem is an experience in itself: it's like a warm, loving embrace. This is the kind of poem I memorize or write down to read through whenever I feel like it. It's a poem worth cherishing. 

6 comments:

Priya Parmar said...

i love tagore. i love the unusual verbs like 'fence' and lush simplicity of 'the heart of things'. genius.

Whitney said...

I must admit, I've never been one for poetry but Tagore's verses are gorgeous.

Kals said...

Priya - Genius indeed. There's something special in each of his poems!

Whitney - I'm so glad you're enjoying this meme then :)

Vaishnavi said...

Reading this was by being hugged by the person I love the most on a nice cold day. It felt THAT good. I have said it before but I really can't thank you enough for introducing me to Tagore.

Priya Iyer said...

this is so simple and yet so lovely... it stays in your head long after you've read it... that's the way it has always been for me with tagore :)

as you say, every single poem of his that you read has something new and warm and bright to offer. a gem! am so glad i started reading tagore too! :)

Kals said...

Vaishnavi - *Hugs* to you. I felt the same while reading this poem too..it was indeed like a warm embrace, like I said in the post. I'm glad you're enjoying this meme. Your comment made my day :)

Priya - That is so absolutely true! Tagore's poems linger in the mind for a long time. They're something of a treasure :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test