Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursdays With Tagore - April 29



Every Thursday, I shall read one of Tagore's poems as translated in this book or some other poem I can find. I shall post some lines from the poem and perhaps a detail of how I liked this poem or not. Any others who want to join in this meme are absolutely welcome to do so!

By all means they try to hold me secure who love me in this world. 

But it is otherwise with thy love which is greater than theirs, 
and thou keepest me free. 

Lest I forget them they never venture to leave me alone. 
But day passes by after day and thou art not seen. 

If I call not thee in my prayers, if I keep not thee in my heart, 
thy love for me still waits for my love.

This is again, absolutely gorgeous and stirring. It's a theme I can relate to, though I obviously can't write about it well enough. The entire poem is simple yet binding and powerful. 

5 comments:

Suko said...

Wonderful poem and post. I want to read more by Tagore.

Priya Parmar said...

i love how you describe it as binding. that is absolutely the right word. this poems swirls around a thickly set core--a truth that does not require a big reveal. beautiful.

Kals said...

Suko - I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever poem of Tagore's that you read :)

Priya - Thank you! Binding was the first word that struck me when I read this poem. His genius is evident in each of his poems and this is no exception indeed :)

Vaishnavi said...

This is my favourite! Of all the pieces I have read on your blog this one is gorgeous!!

Kals said...

Vaishnavi - It's one of my favourites of his too! It's so deceptively simple to read, but so profound that it will stay with you for long :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test