Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursdays With Tagore - April 8


Every Thursday, I shall read one of Tagore's poems as translated in this book or some other poem I can find. I shall post some lines from the poem and perhaps a detail of how I liked this poem or not. Any others who want to join in this meme are absolutely welcome to do so! 

No, no, she's no longer in my house!
I've looked in every corner. Nowhere to be found!
In my house, Lord, there's such precious little space -
what goes away from it cannot be retraced.
But your house is infinite, all-pervasive,
and it's there, Lord, I've come to look for her.
Here I stand, beneath this evening sky,
and look at you, tears streaming from my eyes.
There's a place from where no face, no bliss,
no hope, no thirst can ever be snatched from us.
It's there I've brought my devastated heart,
so you can drown, drown, drown it in that source.
Elixir of deathlessness no longer in my house-
may I recover its touch in the universe!

The allegory of 'his' house and the Lord's house is just absolutely beautiful. This poem is heartrending and so emotional and very Tagore. 

These are my favourite lines:
'But your house is infinite, all-pervasive,
and it's there, Lord, I've come to look for her.'

7 comments:

Paul C said...

Yes, a wonderful transformation takes place in His house. Beautiful poem.

Vaishnavi said...

This is so beautiful. I am becoming such a fan of Tagore!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I'm not much for reading Poetry, but this is beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day.!

Sherrie
Just Books

Amrita said...

Hi Kals, I am delighted to visit your lovely asthetic and scholarly blog.

Kals said...

Paul C- Indeed it is :) Thanks for visiting and following my blog!

Vaishnavi - I'm so glad then! He's wonderful :)

Sherrie - Thanks for dropping by here too and I'm glad you enjoyed the poem :)

Amrita - Thank you so much for the compliment :) Your blog is lovely.

Aarti said...

This is a lovely poem! I'm not into poetry much, but I've liked all the Tagore I've seen quoted. And Rumi, too :-)

Kals said...

Tagore is wonderful and easy to get into, I think! I haven't read Rumi yet and I'd love to :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Test